Many individuals experience anxiety when it comes to visiting the dentist. Dental appointments can be frightening due to the sensations, sounds, and even the mere anticipation of pain. Recognizing this, ORIS Dental Clinics in Richmond Hill, Ontario, provides tailored solutions to people who say, “I want to be put to sleep at the dentist.” Our objective is to make your dental visit as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
"I Want to Be Put to Sleep at the Dentist": Why Choose Sedation Dentistry?
For patients who have dental phobia or anxiety, sedation dentistry (sleep dentistry). is an outstanding option. It allows you to feel peaceful and comfortable during the procedures, with little to no memory of the treatment afterwards. Here are some reasons why patients choose sedation dentistry at ORIS Dental Clinics:
- Anxiety Relief: Sedation can offer a relaxing experience for people who are nervous at the mere thought of dental work.
- Pain Management: Sedation dentistry helps alleviate pain and discomfort during procedures that would otherwise be unbearable.
- Complex Dental Work: Sedation can make long sessions in the chair feel less overwhelming and brief.
- Gag Reflex Control: Patients with a strong gag reflex find sedation beneficial since it allows dental professionals to complete dental procedures without constant struggle.
"I Want to Be Put to Sleep at the Dentist": What Are Your Options?
- Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas): You will inhale this mild sedative through a mask placed over your nose. It helps you relax during your dental procedure, and its effects wear off quickly once they remove the mask.
- Oral Sedation: When taken in pill form before your visit, oral sedation can range from mild to moderate. While you are awake and responsive, you will feel substantially more relaxed and may have little memory of the process.
- IV Sedation: When administered intravenously, this type of sedation allows for deeper relaxation. You’ll still be awake but in a state of deep calm, and it’s likely you won’t remember much of the procedure afterward.
- General Anesthesia: For those who say, “I want to be put to sleep at the dentist, general anesthesia is the most thorough option. You will be entirely unconscious during the process and have no memory of it when you wake up.
"I Want to Be Put to Sleep at the Dentist": Is It Safe?
Patient safety is our number one priority at ORIS Dental Clinics. When administered by a qualified dental professional, sedation dentistry is generally safe. Before considering sedation, we carefully assess your medical history and address any risks or concerns. Throughout the process, the dental professional will carefully monitor your vital signs to ensure your safety and comfort.
Preparing for Your Visit
If you’ve decided that sedation dentistry is best for you, here’s how you may prepare for your appointment at ORIS Dental Clinics.
- Consultation: Schedule an appointment to explore your dental needs and sedation choices. This is the time to express your concerns and ask any questions.
- Medical History: Provide a detailed account of your medical history, including any medications you’re taking, to ensure sedation dentistry is safe for you.
- Fasting: Prior to your visit, you might be asked to fast for a specific amount of time, depending on the type of sedation.
- Transportation: Make sure you have someone drive you home following your procedure, as you may still feel the effects of sedation.
To ensure a smooth recovery after your treatment, please follow our post-care instructions carefully. Depending on the type of sedation, you may feel drowsy or have limited memory of your dental visit. Rest and avoid strenuous activities for the rest of the day. In addition, have someone stay with you for a few hours following the treatment.
"Frequently Asked Questions About Sedation Dentistry at ORIS Dental Clinics"
Can you be put to sleep for dental treatment?
Yes, you can be sedated for dental treatment to ensure comfort and reduce anxiety during the procedure.
Can you ask to be put under anesthesia at the dentist?
Yes, you can request anesthesia at the dentist for procedures where sedation is appropriate and safe.
Can a dentist put you to sleep for a cleaning?
It’s uncommon to be put to sleep for a routine cleaning, but sedation options are available for patients with severe anxiety.
Can you choose to be put to sleep for teeth removal?
Yes, you can choose sedation dentistry for teeth removal, especially for complex extractions or if you have dental anxiety.
At ORIS Dental Clinics in Richmond Hill, Ontario, we strive to make your dental visit as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. For individuals who say, “I want to be put to sleep at the dentist,” we provide a variety of sedation solutions that meet your needs. Our skilled team is here to make your visit safe, comfortable, and practical while also providing you with high-quality dental care in a stress-free environment. Don’t let dental anxiety hold you back from achieving the oral health you deserve. Contact us today to learn more about how we can make your dental visit a positive experience.